Child Abuse In Australia
Child abuse and neglect happens for a range of reasons, and across all demographics. All members of the community can play a role in helping keep children safe. The below statistics provide a picture of child abuse in Australia. It is important to note that due to the nature of child abuse, there can be variations in the reported cases and actual cases of abuse.
- Approximately 1 in 7 boys and 1 in 3 girls will experience some form of sexual abuse.
- Around 80% of boys and 90% of girls are sexually abused by someone they know.
- 1 in 3 Australians would not believe children if they disclosed they were being abused.
Approximately 30 to 60% of childhood sexual abuse is committed by other children and young people.3
To find out more about child abuse and neglect visit
We are committed to giving back to our community by offering child safety workshops to community groups throughout the year at no charge. Find out more here.
 – Quadara. (2014). Child sexual abuse: Key themes in the research literature. Child Family Community Australia webinar.
 – Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) 2005. Personal safety survey Australia. cat. no. 4906.0. Canberra: ABS.  – Bravehearts. (2015). Child Sexual Assault: Facts and Statistics.